Monday, April 19, 2010

Wynwood Art Walk

Hello forum. This is my blog on the Wynwood Art Walk here in Midtown Miami, Florida. Wynwood is an art district and holds an art walk once a month. I had to come to one for my art appreciation class so i can see different types of arts and meet different artists. To be honest, i have never heard of this art walk let alone knew about Wynwood. So on March 13th, 2010 i went with my uncle to the art walk. We got a bit lost on the way but managed to arrive around 7:30pm. We started from on end and walked down to the other end. I wasn't sure what to expect from this since I've never been to an art walk before, but i gotta say, i was amazed at all the amazing art works that were displayed. I have to say my favorite pieces of art are the Wynwood Walls paintings. They were enourmous in size and had many different shapes and colors. Some were wild and others were contemporary. It was an amazing sight. Another favorite of mine were the arts pieces by Peter Tunney. The paintings that stood out to me the most were the ones by Jean Marc Calvet. I learned that the artwork that were displayed in his studio were ideas he worked on while in the military. The art works show anger and have very vivid colors to represent that emotion. It was really outstanding. You could feel the anger by looking at the paintings. There was one studio that i was not too fond of. I forgot the artists name but she used video cameras to make film art. I was not a fan of those. I found them to be completely weird and just not artistic, in my opinion. Now i was not able to speak to the artists because they were either talking to other people for a long time or were not there, but i did get to enjoy the art. So if you find yourself in Miami with nothing to do on the 2nd saturday of the month, find your way over to the Wynwood art district. It was alot of fun and some studios have complimentary drinks. Who can say no to that?







No comments:

Post a Comment